Tuesday, November 20, 2012

The No Dairy Blueberry-Banana Smoothie

I discovered Almond milk a couple of years ago when I was trying to follow one of those crazy vegan detox diets. The only thing that stuck with me was the almond milk. Now, I use unsweetened vanilla flavored almond milk in place of the milk that goes into my cereals, and in place of the milk and yogurt that often goes into smoothies.  Did you know that even fat free skim milk has more than double the calories and sugar of unsweetened vanilla almond milk? Yet almond milk has 50% more calcium and is richer and more satisfying than fat free skim.

This smoothie is sweet, the way I prefer my breakfast smoothies. If you prefer less sweetness, use only a 1/2 tablespoon of the nectar (or honey)

1 ripe banana
1 cup of frozen blueberries
1 cup of Unsweetened Vanilla flavored Almond Milk (I use the Almond Breeze brand found in the refriderated milk section in the grocery store.)
1 tablespoon Agave nectar (or honey will do)

  • put all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Pour into a glass and enjoy!

No comments: