Friday, November 16, 2012

Sherbrooke Inspired; Cinnamon Raisin Oatmeal with Molasses

I don't think that I've had Molasses since I was a young girl sitting at my Grandma Noonan's lunch table in Sherbrooke, Quebec. When I tasted it before putting into my recipe, it brought back those early childhood holiday lunches. She used to serve it with bread and we dipped the bread into a small bowl of molasses. Mom, if you are reading this, help me out - am I remembering correctly?

This little bowl of Oatmeal hit the spot this morning. All natural ingredients.

2 cups water
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup rolled oats (not instant oatmeal)
1 tsp Molasses
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
small handful of raisins


  • Boil the water and salt
  • Add the oats and cook on med for 10-20 minutes (I like the texture of my oats at about 12 minutes, I like them a little chewy, not mushy)
  • Remove from heat and add the Molasses, Cinnamon, and raisins, stir to combine
  • Cover and let sit for a few minutes
Side note, my oatmeal came out perfect this morning, but if yours comes out too thick and you need to add liquid to thin it out a bit, I would use Almond Milk because I am trying to limit my use of dairy products. Dairy products tend to make me bloated. I use Almond milk in place of milk in all of my cereals, and in a number of other recipes as well.

No comments: